E3k54b

Totally Random: The 40 Things Before 40 List

A fellow blogger and web extraordinaire Uncommon Chick wrote a post called “40 Things Before 40 List…Time to Get Started!” which is a list of 40 things she would like to accomplish by the time she’s 40 years old. At the end of the post, she challenged others to create a list as well to help them visualize their own goals.  Well after days of indecision (and fright! Lol) I finally sat down and thought about some things I would like to do before I turn 40.  Here they are below:

1. Go on a cruise (every time I plan one I have to postpone it)
  2. Travel across the globe (maybe to France or China)
  3. Visit Seattle, WA
  4. Visit Maine
  5. Go sailing
  6. Take a yoga class
  7. Run in a marathon
  8. Go inside the Statue of Liberty
  9. Visit Mall of America
  10. Go to Brazil
  11. Go to Australia
  12. Learn to ice skate
  13. Become a pro at web design
  14. Become a pro at graphic design
  15. Parasail
  16. Snorkel
  17. Do more horseback riding (did it a few times and loved it!)
  18. See a show on Broadway in NYC
  19. Attend the Essence Music Festival
  20. Attend a MAJOR  jazz festival
  21. Spend more time with my hubby’s side of the family
  22. Attend a Superbowl
  23. Attend an NBA game
  24. Attend a Hockey game
  25. Gather the evening gowns that I can no longer fit and donate them to charity
  26. Hold a garage sale
  27. Drive cross-country (longest drive so far: 22 hours)
  28. Revisit my love for making arts and crafts
  29. Try sushi (at least once!)
  30. Take each of my children on their own personal “Mommy and Me” trip to a different city
  31. Learn to make Pumpkin bread from scratch
  32. Learn to make raisin bread from scratch
  33. Plant a tree successfully (trees do not seem to like me :( )
  34. Become a better gardener
  35. Diversify my wardrobe more
  36. Drive an industrial truck
  37. Drive a stick shift
  38. Raise a pet from infant-age
  39. Publish a book
  40. Become a better wife, mother, friend, and overall person

HOORAY!! I DID IT!! :)

Doing this list was not only fun, but it also helped me to realize some new things about myself.  Looking over the list, I’m a little surprised by some things that made the list, and even more surprised by things that didn’t.  It made me realize that sometimes outside influences can greatly affect what we see as important for ourselves in our lives.  When we remove those influences, we’d be surprised as to what we discover is really important to us.

Have you ever created a 40 things by 40 list (or any other age)? Share with me below or tell me about it at: melisasource@yahoo.com.

Makeba Giles is the author and creative director of MELISASource.com, an inspirational blog featuring articles of motivation and empowerment inspired by current events and real life.
15 Comments on this post.

CommentLuv badge

• glamazini
    26 September 2011 at 10:40 pm - Reply

Nice list! I just post mine today :)

#9 is a good one! I’m adding that to my bucket list
    #22 We can do this together! :D LOL
    #31 I have a great recipe :)

• MELISASource
      29 September 2011 at 1:42 am - Reply

Greetings: I’m gonna take you up on that offer about #22 and I’ll be looking for the email regarding #31!! LOL ~Thank you so much for commenting! :)

• Melistar
        29 September 2011 at 12:41 pm - Reply

Some of these things are on my list of things to do before 30! good luck and have fun!:)

• Mimi
    22 September 2011 at 11:22 pm - Reply

What a great list. This would have to be my list before I’m 50! LOL Go to Seattle. It’s where I’m from and it’s so amazing! So much to do. I live in MN and the Mall of America is pretty amazing! Right by the airport, too! Ikea pretty much shares the same parking lot. I want to visit all of New England. I love horseback riding and I’d love to have a horse again. Would love to go to the Super Bowl. You’ve never held a garage sale? We love driving cross country. Have done it a number of times. =) I think taking each of your kids to a new city is a cool idea! I love gardening and driving a stick shift is my favorite! I could absolutely improve on your last point! Fun activity! Good for you!

• MELISASource
      23 September 2011 at 3:06 pm - Reply

Greetings! Thank you so much and a 50 by 50 list sounds like a great idea! ~Thank you so much for commenting! :)

• Nota Supermom
    22 September 2011 at 10:28 pm - Reply

This is a great list.
    I’ve read that people who make lists of goals accomplish so much.

Good luck to you and enjoy the journey!

• MELISASource
      23 September 2011 at 3:04 pm - Reply

Greetings: Yes having a list of your goals is a great way to make sure you stay on task and get more accomplished. I’m looking very forward to the journey. ~Thank you so much for commenting! :)

• Nota Supermom
        29 September 2011 at 10:41 am - Reply

I did a list for myself during the summer of things I wanted to accomplish before fall started. It was a big help.
        I need to expand my timeline.
        Nota Supermom latest inspiration..Quick and Easy Hummus RecipeMy Profile

• MzGaPeachy
    21 September 2011 at 1:14 pm - Reply

Okay I loved this it gives me something to think about, because I got less than 5 years before I hit forty. Great Post!!!!

• MELISASource
      21 September 2011 at 2:00 pm - Reply

Greetings: I know how you feel I have less than five years before I turn 40 as well! We should definitely get going! Lol ~Thank you do much for commenting! :)

• Kesha Brown
    21 September 2011 at 1:04 pm - Reply

Ooooh, you have some good ones!! I forgot about sailing (and surfing for that matter), ice skating, driving a stick…I’ll add those as my backup items just in case any of the main items fall off the list! :-)

Also, you will love parasailing! It’s so peaceful once you’re up there…no concern in the world :-)

Let me know when you have that garage sale…maybe I’ll stop by and see what I can grab off ya (like I need anything else in my house!) LOL

~Kesha
    Kesha Brown latest inspiration..Fit, Fyne, and Fabulous Weight Loss Challenge – Month 1 ResultsMy Profile

• MELISASource
      21 September 2011 at 1:18 pm - Reply

Greetings: Will do! Lol ~Thank you so much for commenting! :)

• Debbie
    21 September 2011 at 2:18 am - Reply

I need to add some of these to my bucket list:)

#21 is too funny, lol!
    Debbie latest inspiration..Fried PlantainMy Profile

• MELISASource
      21 September 2011 at 12:46 pm - Reply

Greetings: It is funny that you mention #21–it is the one that I need to work on the most! lol ~Thank you so much for commenting! :)

The Busy Mom TV: MELISASource.com

Watch More from The Busy Mom...