How to Battle Emotional Breakdown

Emotional Breakdown

Have you ever been at a place where life was throwing you so many ups and downs, so many twists and turns that you could no longer tell whether you were coming or going? Times when there was so much on your plate to deal with that you felt like you were at your wit’s end? Around people, you keep smiling, you keep being cordial, but in reality you are on the verge of having a true breakdown?  It is a very tough place to be in.  I know because I have been there so many times before myself—where life seemed as if it was controlling me instead of the other way around.  It felt like for every 1 situation or crisis I resolved, there were 4 new ones coming at me, all the while having to maintain my roles of wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, etc. in a positive and upbeat manner.  The hardest thing to do in the world is to wear a smile on the outside while you are falling apart on the inside.  You want to cry out loud, scream to the world about the many things that you are going through, but you can’t—deep inside you know that you have to keep it together. .

What do you do when you have reached this very critical point in your life? What can you do?  Exactly how is it that you succeed in battling breakdown?

Emotional Breakdown

I’m glad you asked.

Emotional Breakdown

How to Battle Emotional BreakdownFirst, you must remember that challenges are a part of life for everyone. I know that it may seem like it, but you are not alone in how you are feeling. Every single person on this earth-from the poorest of the poor to the super-rich, from the janitor to the CEO are experiencing some type of trial or tribulation in their lives at the very moment that you are.  They—like you—just do their very best to keep it hidden from the rest of the world. Always keep that in mind, as it can be of some comfort to you in times when you feel like you are by yourself..

Second, in addition to smiling and trying to remain optimistic, also try to shift your focus towards other things. Engage in activities that will help to take your mind off of everything that is going on around you. Go see a movie. Watch some YouTube videos. Read the latest issue of your favorite magazine. Get a workout in at the gym. Listen to an audiobook or some uplifting music (if you need some good music choices, check out my Music Mondays tab).  Also remember that nothing beats the good old-fashioned company of family and friends—drop by the house of a favorite relative, gather a friend or two for a quick meetup. Sometimes just seeing a friendly face is all that’s needed to help you feel better.

Emotional Breakdown

Life is never completely smooth sailing for anyone, and there will always be times that are more challenging than others—so much so that it will drive you really close to losing it.  However if you work to keep your mind balanced and focus on what is to come, then you will make it through the hard times. Always keep in mind:  sooner or later all storms must (and will) come to an end.

emotional breakdown

How do you handle emotional breakdown? Share with me below or drop me a line at: melisasource@yahoo.com.

Emotional Breakdown

14 Comments

• farouk says:

i had enough downtimes in 2011 Mellisa
    i am glad i came accross your post
    i wish that i can do better in 2012
    wish you all the best 🙂

• MELISASource says:

Greetings:

Yes I can totally understand how you feel — the year of 2011 was a bumpy one to say the least! That was one of the driving forces behind my writing this, to be of help and encouragement. I am so glad to know that is what you found in this post. My sincere hope is that the year of 2012 will be much better for you! 🙂

~Thank you so much for commenting and I wish you all the best as well! 🙂

• I love your message of optimism. We need more people like you in the world. Thanks for sharing 🙂
    The Cubicle Chick latest inspiration..6 Christmas Gift Ideas That You Can Make YourselfMy Profile

• MELISASource says:

Greetings: Awwww!! What a wonderful compliment — I really appreciate it!! I am glad to know that you enjoyed this post. ~Thank you so much for commenting! 🙂

• Bonnie says:

This is a very inspiring blog post. There are times when it seems there is not a way out, but there always is. One small step at a time and trying to find a balance between allowing yourself to feel and move through your emotional upheaveal and finding things to feel happy about anyway.

It’s so important to know that all things change or we can become very stuck and overwhelmed and end up in despair.

An important and beautifully written message!
    Bonnie latest inspiration..Your Attitude Will Make or Break itMy Profile

• MELISASource says:

Greetings Bonnie — and welcome!

I am glad to know that this post was inspiring to you! I love what you said about small steps: many times we get frustrated because we want so badly to make the big steps and see the ‘big’ progress through our life’s trials and tribulations; not realizing that the small steps count just as much (if not more) than the big ones. As you said, it is those small steps that help us to keep a balance in our lives and to remain positive through the struggle. Just “putting one foot in front of the other” and soon we will be out of the storm. This approach helps us to get through our struggle unscathed–or with very little emotional bruising instead of a lot–it is what helps us to remain happy. ~Thank you for your kind words and I truly appreciate you commenting! 🙂

• Patricia says:

Thank you so much for the beautiful post! Very inspiring!
    Patricia latest inspiration..MAMAW’S SUNDAY DEVOTIONAL – Fresh-Brewed Life by Nicole JohnsonMy Profile

• MELISASource says:

Greetings: You are most welcome! I am glad to know that this post was inspiring to you! ~Thank you for your kind words and I appreciate you commenting! 🙂

• farouk says:

that’s motivating Melisa
    life is full of ups and downs and we should never give up even if everything was against us

• MELISASource says:

Greetings Farouk — and welcome!

You are most welcome! You are so right: even when it seems as if the whole world is stacked up against us, we must never give up or lose sight of the fact that brighter days are ahead. ~Thank you so much for your kind words and I appreciate you commenting! 🙂

• Gloria Kesler says:

Thanks for the reminder- love your writing! Will keep reading your blog.

“Life is never completely smooth sailing for anyone, and there will always be times that are more challenging than others—so much so that it will drive you really close to losing it.  However if you work to keep your mind balanced and focus on your what is to come, then you will make it through the hard times. Always keep in mind:  sooner or later all storms must (and will) come to an end.”

• MELISASource says:

Greetings — and welcome!

I am glad to know that you enjoyed the post and that it was helpful to you! ~Thank you so very much for your kind words and I appreciate you commenting! 🙂

• melistar says:

Well said. I’ll take that advice and apply it to my day to day life. Thank you!

• MELISASource says:

Greetings: You are most welcome! I am glad to know that this post was helpful to you. ~Thank you so much for the compliment and I appreciate you commenting! 🙂