whitney_houston.9j6f

News Notes In Memoriam: The Inspiration of Whitney Houston

On the afternoon of February 11 2012, the world lost a true icon. Whitney Houston, one of the most beloved singers of our generation, passed away in Beverly Hills, California. As the news broke and began to spread, the world stood frozen in shock, disbelief, and overwhelming sadness. Her untimely passing is one that will be difficult for many to accept for some time.

I, like others, am still trying to come to grips with this news. The music of Whitney Houston has celebrated with me during the highest points of my life, and encouraged me during some of my lowest ones. Throughout her life no matter what, Whitney showed that at the end of the day, she was human. With every major blow she would always—always work to recover and bounce back. Even up to her very last day, she was striving to make a return to film, serving as star and executive producer of the remake of  70’s classic film, Sparkle. Her strength and resiliency has served as a model to me many times; giving me the inspiration that I needed to overcome my own life’s struggles. I will truly miss her.

I really love all of Whitney’s songs, but my number one favorite song of hers is one that did not have the benefit of topping the charts. It did not get much fanfare or airplay, and I don’t believe that she ever even performed it live. Nevertheless, it is my favorite because of its message. In the song Step By Step, Whitney Houston sings of what sounds like a testament of her life: the truth of the inevitability of obstacles and missteps that life may bring, and the fact that ultimate triumph is attainable as long as you take things day-by-day and keep your determination and faith that it is possible. It is a song that I play often to this day whenever I need an instant uplift. At times when I feel my worst, this song is the one that inspires me to keep going. I hope that it inspires you too.

Whitney Houston:  We love you. Thank you for sharing your gift with the world.

Enjoy today’s Music Monday’s selection:  ”Step By Step” by Whitney Houston.

Have a song that would be perfect for Music Mondays? Share below or tell me about it at: melisasource@yahoo.com.

Makeba Giles is the author and creative director of MELISASource.com, an inspirational blog featuring articles of motivation and empowerment inspired by current events and real life.
17 Comments on this post.

CommentLuv badge

• Val Boaten (@kaicongroup)
    27 February 2012 at 2:07 pm - Reply

Very nice tribute Melisa. Love the blog. Very welcoming. Keep encouraging and inspiring us.

All the best,

V

• MELISASource
      27 February 2012 at 10:44 pm - Reply

Greetings: I am so glad to know that you liked the tribute. I truly appreciate your kind words! ~Thank you so much for commenting and I wish you all the best as well! :)

• Julie
    18 February 2012 at 12:31 am - Reply

She was one of the greatest singers in the 20th century.I loved her voice so much. Rest in peace, Whitney!

• MELISASource
      27 February 2012 at 10:51 pm - Reply

Greetings: I absolutely agree–there never was nor will there ever be another voice like hers. She will be greatly missed. ~Thank you so much for commenting! :)

• Deeone Higgs
    14 February 2012 at 8:10 pm - Reply

I can remember as a little boy, having a love for singing myself, I was so fascinated by this incredible women. She was gorgeous and had the voice of an angel. Being the man that I am, and you know exactly what I mean by that statement; I’ve always held her at a high standard. She was truly a Diva to me, if there ever was one. Even when she wasn’t at her best, she was the best to me.

When her and Bobby had their reality show people formed their own opinion about what they thought they knew about her. Me… I only appreciated her even more, because what I saw was a human being who had her own demons and who was doing the best she could with what she had to do it with. It’s so easy for people to judge what they see, when they are only seeing what they are allowed to see. But, no one knew the whole story and many of them that judged her had absolutely no room to judge anyone. That’s usually the case though, isn’t it?

I feel the same way about Michael, Amy, and one of my old faves Kurt Cobain. This life is hard for some of us, and we have to get through it the best way we know how to do so. For some, they can only do what they know how.

Whitney is finally at rest from the judgement, the inner pain, and the eyes of the public. My thoughts are with her family and most importantly her daughter. May they eventually find peace of mind through this tragic ordeal.

Thank you Makeba for this wonderful message. :)

• MELISASource
      16 February 2012 at 6:13 pm - Reply

Greetings: You hit the nail right on the head–Whitney and others, like the rest of us, simply do the things that we know how to do to cope with this thing called life. -And the thing about is that coping mechanisms come in many, many forms, big and small. It never means that hurt is intentional, and it doesn’t always mean that the essence of a person has changed. At the center of it all that she went through was a strong woman with a loving heart and beautiful spirit. That is the Whitney that the world should choose to remember. ~I appreciate your kind words and thank you so much for commenting! :)

• Heather Murphy
    13 February 2012 at 8:23 pm - Reply

So sad! She was the first concert I ever went to with my dad. Great show!

• MELISASource
      13 February 2012 at 10:43 pm - Reply

Greetings: That’s great that you got a chance so see her perform live! You got a chance that many can now only wish for. ~And for it to be your very first concert is even better. What a wonderful experience I’m sure! ~Thank you so much for commenting! :)

• RetroFlirt
    13 February 2012 at 7:14 pm - Reply

Thanks for sharing this post

• RetroFlirt
    13 February 2012 at 7:10 pm - Reply

She was so young still and so very talented. The news of her passing was so sudden. That is what made me so shocked like everyone else when I read about it that very night. Her music has helped me get through things quite a few times..

• MELISASource
      13 February 2012 at 10:49 pm - Reply

Greetings: Yes I completely understand how you feel about her music. I feel the very same way. She still had so much to give. Definitely gone too soon. ~Thank you so much for commenting! :)

• melistar
    13 February 2012 at 4:47 pm - Reply

Wow. Thank you for focusing on the good in her life and for pointing out that she was indeed human. Most of everything I’ve read and heard so far today has been so negative and now they are even starting to attack her daughter. You truly are a positive light in a negative world! :)

• MELISASource
      13 February 2012 at 10:56 pm - Reply

Greetings: Whitney Houston was such an inspiration to so many and touched the world in such an enormous way, it would be impossible to not honor all that she has given. ~I appreciate your kind words and thank you so much for commenting! :)

• Keinya
    13 February 2012 at 3:45 pm - Reply

Very well said. Yes she is human as we all are and we all have our ups and downs. No one really knows her story like she and He right? And yes she will indeed be missed! What an incredible voice she had. May she rest in peace and her family and loved ones find comfort in time.

• MELISASource
      13 February 2012 at 11:04 pm - Reply

Greetings: Indeed there are only two people who will ever really know anyone’s story, and that is the person and the man above. Her voice was like no other–a true gift. There will never be another voice like hers. ~I appreciate your kind words and thank you so much for commenting! :)

• Keinya
    13 February 2012 at 3:33 pm - Reply

Very well said. She is indeed human as we all are. I like that song too and agree that Whitney will be missed for sure. Thx for sharing!

• MELISASource
      13 February 2012 at 11:06 pm - Reply

Greetings: You are most welcome. ~Thank you so much for commenting! :)

The Busy Mom TV: MELISASource.com

Watch More from The Busy Mom...